Friday, April 25, 2014

More Doll Making - Rosebud


I finished my lavender-haired cutie doll for my one year old niece.  I call her Rosebud for obvious reasons, but my sweet niece may call her whatever she likes.



She is toddler friendly - some of this is inherent in the pattern design from the Storybook Toys book:
  • embroidered face - no buttons to choke on, no paint to fade.  If the stitching comes out it can easily be re-done.
  • no buttons or clasps on her clothing that could be choking hazards
  • stuffing is non-allergenic
  • clothes are made with velcro closures or pull-on elastic to make it easy to dress and undress her.
  • If her hair comes undone, it can also easily be re-done.
  • she is about the size of an American Girl doll, so it will be easy to buy (or make) her more clothes.








Here's a little detail picture of the kitty embroidered on her shirt:





  • I sketched a cat (because little girls need to have cute kitty cats on their shirts)
  • Then I traced it with water soluble marker onto the shirt front
  • I used a back stitch with 2 strands of embroidery floss to out line the design and to do the nose, mouth, and whiskers (this type of hand embroidery is EASY - there are many books on this subject)
  • I made french knots for the eyes
  • The purple coloring is done with a crayon and a blender pen and then heat set with my iron (with a piece of paper over the design to protect the iron and fabric).
I am ready to switch gears in my sewing (I've got several summer dresses planned), but I cannot recommend this Storybook Toys book highly enough.  If you are at all interested in doll or toy making this is a valuable resource and worth its price many times over.

Make something beautiful!
Jen

PS - here's a sneak peak at the dress I'm working on:

120_large

2 comments:

  1. That doll is adorable! I think I'll have to check that book out - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I really enjoyed making her and I highly recommend the book, Storybook Toys. I can't think you would regret purchasing it. :)

      Delete