Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Sweetly Scented Gift

 Sachets are a lovely (and sweet smelling) gift.  They can be made quickly and simply, or you can spend time making them more elaborate.  For the ADD crafter, they appeal on a few levels:  you can mix and match scents to appeal to your inner perfumer, you could call on your inner gardener/herb cultivator and dry and mix your own potpourri, and it appeals to quilting, fashion, hand embroiderers, and home dec sewers.

Here is an original design I came up with as gifts for some very special ladies in my bible study group.  We studied 1st and 2nd Peter. One of Peter's purposes in his letters was to remind of us of who we are in Christ and God's promises for us.  Since our sense of smell is a powerful memory trigger, I thought it would be fitting to make sachets for them.

:

  • I cut 5" x 5" squares from linen fabric
  • I cut the layered flowers from some beautiful merino wool felt (purchased from Gingermelon's beautiful Etsy shop) using the Stampin' Up! Floral Framelits dies and Big Shot die cutter.
  • I grouped the cut flower pieces together and machine stitched them in the center to one linen square using a stitch length of 1.5
  • I then hand embroidered the flower centers making french knots with golden-yellow embroidery floss to hide the machine stitching
  • I sewed another linen square to the linen square with the flower, right sides together, with an 8" piece of satin cord folded in half at the corner (I double stitched the corner with the the cord), leaving a small (1.5" - 2") opening to turn it.
  • I stuffed it lightly and added scented aroma beads* and then stitched it closed using a ladder stitch

*Aroma Beads are amazing little plastic beads that absorb fragrance oils and smell good for months and months (some have lasted years).  I get them from Natures Garden Wholesale Candle and Soap Supplies as well as the fragrance and essential oils that I use to make the various scents.

The scents I used for these sachets were Gingered Bergamot (this smells heavenly) and Lemon Neroli (a blend of Juicy Lemon fragrance oil and Neroli essential oil).




Make something beautiful!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment