Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Doll Making: Arms, Legs, and Undercloths

I'm finished with Claire!  She's turned out so lovely I'm amazed.  I know there are many little flaws - seams I didn't sew quite straight, embroidered features that aren't quite symmetrical...but I guess they add to her charm.



I couldn't bring myself to post her naked, so I had to make her some underthings.  I may have made doll clothes as a girl, but it's been long enough that it's like I'd never done it before.



I checked out a book from the library The Doll's Dressmaker by Venus Page. 


This book has a plethora of patterns for dolls of all sizes and it shows ways to modify the basic pattern pieces to create many different styles of clothing.  The problem is, it's not very logically organized and the sewing instructions are pretty much non-existent.  I purchased a Butterick pattern that looked to have similar basic clothing styles so I could use the instructions from that pattern to help me with the construction of the patterns from the book.

The Butterick pattern I used is 6001 - it's sized for 18 inch dolls.
http://butterick.mccall.com/b6001-products-47979.php?page_id=391

 I used the bodice pattern from it and changed it to a front closure instead of a back closure.  I had to take it in at the sides and sew a little pleat in the back to help it fit my doll (she only stands about 16 inches).

 Here's a shot of her next to my quilting ruler so you can get an idea of her size.  Just about 16" high.


Her pants are made from a pattern from the Doll's Dressmaker book.  Pants are really easy, so instructions weren't necessary.

I have some beautiful dresses in the works - I can't wait to show them to you!

Make something beautiful!
Jen




2 comments:

  1. Jen what an adorable doll to love! You took some pieces of material and created a beautiful work. God bless you and your talent - Love, Deb

    ReplyDelete