Saturday, March 29, 2014

Sewing Doll Clothes Part I

I think it's strange that I haven't enjoyed sewing doll clothes as much as I thought I might.  I love to sew clothes, I loved sewing this doll.  I will chalk this up, as I always do with sewing, to experience and try to forget the things I've spent hours on that ended up in the trash.

Frustrations aside, I think I've come up with a reasonable first outfit.  I didn't match plaids.  Oops.  I joined two pieces of fabric for the skirt instead of doing the better and more symmetrical three - so there is an ugly seam right in the front, of course.

I did dust the cobwebs from the section of my brain that knows how to do heirloom sewing, though!  I am so happy with the pintucks* and embroidery on the slip (which I made because I cut the dress too short).

I'm hoping the next outfit will be a more peaceful and rewarding sewing experience.


*pintucks are so easy to do!  You need a double needle and a ruler or a pintuck foot (the foot keeps each tuck evenly spaced, the twin needle makes the "tuck").

  • Thread your machine per your instructions for a twin needle
  • Use a ruler to mark your pintuck lines (or mark the first one and use a pintuck foot)
  • Sew!
  • Press.  Having a wooden clapper helps make the tucks even crisper.

Make something beautiful (time learning is beautiful, too)!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment