Sunday, March 16, 2014

Doll Making - Claire

I set a goal at the beginning of this year to sew everyday.  So far I haven't missed a day.   I'm amazed at how that simple goal has improved my productivity.  So why, then, haven't I had any completed projects to post in several weeks?

Well, my latest project is a doll.  A doll that involves a large process of learning, practicing and perfecting techniques before assembling my "real" doll.

I have been collecting dolls since I was a little girl.  I have a beautiful collection that, alas, has been stored away in boxes since my son was born since he took over the room I used to have for them.  They are also all porcelain - not a very child friendly material.

When I saw this book,
 http://www.amazon.com/Storybook-Toys-Projects-Puppets-Softies-ebook/dp/B00B7Y3B36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395010049&sr=8-1&keywords=storybook+toys
I felt my romance with dolls rekindle and I've been planning and practicing so I could make my own beautiful vintage inspired cloth doll.

I'm sharing an "in process" photo.  This is Claire.  She's a passionate Scottish girl with auburn hair and hazel eyes. 



I have loved every part of constructing her so far, from slowly stitching the tricky curves of her head and face, to patiently stuffing and stuffing and shaping and stuffing her head and body - it feels like sculpting.  I used real wool to stuff her.  It has a very sweet lanolin smell and packs very tightly for nice shaping.



The techniques for embroidering her face are excellent.  I highly recommend this book for it's excellent and detailed instructions.

I hope to have more progress photos in a few days (like arms and legs :))

Make something beautiful!
Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment