Saturday, March 1, 2014

Sweet Snow Princess Doll

My son is completely enamored of Elsa, the beautiful ice queen in the movie Frozen. So when he came into my craft room and saw me begin working on this sweet doll pattern, he requested that I make her like Elsa.

The doll pattern is by Gingermelon.  It is the "Best Friends" pattern available in her Etsy shop.

Best Friends Doll pdf Pattern - Instant Download

The pattern is excellent.  Gingermelon's instructions are really flawless - even for a beginner.  The doll is sewn completely by hand.  It is excellent practice for perfecting hand stitches.  The stitches I used are:
  • Blanket stitch
  • Whip stitch
  • Ladder stitch
  • Satin stitch
  • Back stitch/outline stitch
  • Running stitch
Because she is small - about 10 inches high - she really doesn't take much time to sew.  I did this project over about 4-5 days, carving out little bits of time here and there.  I had my son do most of the stuffing - his little fingers are perfect for this work.


  • She's made entirely from wool blend felt that I purchased from Gingermelon as well - available in her Etsy shop.  It is beautiful and soft and the colors are extraordinary.
  • Most of the embroidery floss I used is 12 strand silk purchased at Peacock Alley Needlepoint in Ada, MI.


Design changes I made:
  • I made sleeves for the dress
  • I made sleeve trim, dress trim, and a collar (with a little bit of glitter to make them sparkle)
  • I embroidered the face:  eyes, nose, and mouth instead of the felt eyes
  • I added a flower with some seed beads in the center
  • I added seed beads to the bows on her shoes





So who is this doll really for?  Well she's for me, but right now she's snuggled up in bed with my son, next to the Superhero Flip Doll.


 Make something beautiful!
Jen

1 comment: