Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Captain Amazing!



I recently got this adorable book from Amazon Vine:


http://www.amazon.com/Flip-Dolls-Other-Toys-Stack/dp/1454702486/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392204002&sr=8-1&keywords=flip+dolls+%26+other+toys+that+zip+stack+hide+grab+%26+go
I have a love affair with dolls that spills over to stuffed animals on occasion and I'm also delighted by cleverness of construction - all of those things are present in this wonderful book.
The biggest surprise to me is how much my six year old son loves this book.  He took it with him several mornings on our car ride to school and announced his list of items I would sew for him.  I think it's pretty much every project in this book.
We started with his first priority:  The Superhero Flip Doll

 Materials:
  • All these materials were from my stash which gives this pattern a head start for it's stash busting power!
  • The tie is felt and I satin stitched it - applique
  • I interfaced all the pieces to give them extra strength when being pulled inside out
  •  The examples in the book have a very simple face stitched in black - I opted for a little more color.  I think he's terribly cute.
 Doll Construction:
  • You make, essentially, two dolls and then join them together at the bottom.  They share a pair of legs.
  • All the construction is very simple, although, because there is a layer of batting stitched to one side of the doll, it is bulky and a little tricky to sew the bottoms together.  They are small and did not fit around my sewing machine's free arm.  I used lots of pins and patience.
  • The superhero's costume is made of a red knit jersey which I interfaced with a jacket weight interfacing to keep it from stretching.  I loved how soft and easily shaped the knit was to work with - even interfaced.
  • His cute mask and star are actually leather - I'm amazed at some of things in my stash.  I had no idea I even had this scrap of leather.  It was perfect for him.
  • I was very amused to give him shiny charmeuse underwear.  This must absolutely be interfaced - it frays terribly and the seams will rip when pulled (there's a reason I know this).

We already have plans for our next flip doll:  Knight & Dragon!

Make something beautiful!
-Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment