Saturday, February 15, 2014

Sweet baby coat




This sweet baby coat is from the Ottobre Design 04-2010 issue.  If you're not familiar with Ottobre, they are hands down the cutest, trendiest, sweetest clothing patterns you can get if you sew for children.  They are also not overly slanted toward girls, which is important to me since I only have one boy and I love making him adorable clothes.

That being said, this jacket is for a precious baby girl.  I've made this pattern before and it's very cleverly designed and although it requires some skill (it's not a novice pattern), Ottobre's details make it look so very boutique and RTW.  It makes a very special gift.

  

I call this version the "Strawberry Coat"
  • I had this baby wale green corduroy in my stash.  It was my starting point.
  • I lined it with knit - it's surprisingly easy to make a lining out of knit and it is oh-so-soft for babies.  The knit is 100% organic cotton jersey - it's from Heather Ross's Briar Rose fabric line, called unsurprisingly: strawberry
  • The beautiful pink and red rib knit is purchased from Ottobre Design's Esty shop.  It's divine.  You won't find anything like it anywhere else.  Worth the price and the 3 weeks it takes to arrive from Finland.
  • The strawberry buttons are JHB, I think - I bought them at my local fabric store.

What I love about this coat's design:
  • The hood!  It has an invisible zipper down the center that forms a darling wide collar when unzipped.  It also has elastic sewn around the front edges that frame sweet baby's face beautifully.
  • The pockets!  They are so cute - round little pockets gathered with rib knit trim.

 

If you want to try making this sweet jacket and want more tips, visit PatternReview and my original review from 2010 - I have some construction tips there that may be helpful.

Skills needed:
  • sewing curved seams, clipping seams
  • topstitching
  • putting in an invisible zipper
  • inserting elastic
  • inserting a lining
  • sewing with knits
  • attaching snaps

I have a Pfaff 2170 sewing embroidery machine, which I used to make this cute label.  The strawberry embroidery design is from Urban Threads.

Make something beautiful!
Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment