Saturday, February 15, 2014

Penguin Flip Doll


Since constructing the Superhero Flip doll, my son and I have both become enamored of flip dolls.  He has been studying penguins at school, so when I saw this adorable pattern from Abby Glassenberg at While She Naps, a soft toy/sculpture maker extraordinaire, I purchased it right away. 



My version:





  •  I made a small change to the face so that we would have a baby Emperor Penguin
  • He's made entirely from fleece remnants purchased at Fields Fabrics with the exception of a wool blend felt used for his eyes and beak
  • I cut the eyes out of felt with a small circle paper punch and then cut a rounded piece out so they looked smiley

The trickiest part is the sharp curves on the forehead.  Abby's instructions are excellent for tackling this.  I sewed one side to the beak point and then I clipped to the seam so it would open up and then sewed the other side.



It's a very sweet, soft toy that would be a lovely baby gift.  It's also fun for older children - I think it would be very fun to use in the classroom to identify different penguin species.

Make something beautiful (or really, really cute!)

Jen

3 comments:

  1. You're right, this IS adorable! I always had a thing for reversible dolls when I was young -- your son is very lucky that you can just whip one up for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love your variation. Thank you so much for sewing this sweet toy from my pattern. I'm thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure, Abby. I love your blog and your designs!

      Delete