Monday, February 10, 2014

Radiant Orchid Winter Coat

I've had this beautiful lavender/pink wool in my stash for about 5 years waiting for the right project.  It's a merino/cashmere blend that is completely, heavenly soft.  I had in mind several coat patterns from my Burda Style magazines, but I chose one from the 11/2007 issue, pattern number 101.  It's got beautiful princess seams that make it a very pretty shape and fit.  I also like the large pleated collar and I immediately envisioned it in a matching velvet.

Changes I made: 
  • Burda makes this coat in taffeta as an evening coat with snap closure.  I felt like snap closures would be problematic:  I didn't want the stitching on the outside of the coat and the weight of the wool and interfacings would make the snaps pull and hang awkwardly.  I chose a button front closure.
  • Trim.  The Burda version has a stunning origami band sewn on the bottom.  I really, really, really wanted this, but the wool and also the velvet were far too thick.  I was initially frustrated with this, but now I like the cleaner look I have with my finished coat.


Coat Structure:

  • Buttons: are from Lyanwood's Etsy shop.  I painted them with a metallic paint I picked up at Hobby Lobby - surprisingly the color matched nearly perfectly.


 Interior of the coat:
  • It's interlined with Thinsulate which I purchased from Vogue Fabrics 
  • For a great tutorial on adding interlining visit Threads or sign up for this wonderful class on Craftsy.
  • The lining fabric is a polyester charmeuse I purchased from Fabric.com
  • I bound the bottom edge of the thinsulate & lining with a gorgeous floral satin binding ribbon I had in my stash (it's good to have a stash).
A word about fitting:
My most helpful fitting resource is a book by Judith Rasband called Fabulous Fit:  Speed Fitting and Alteration.  I took a mini-class from her several years ago at the American Sewing Expo in Novi, Michigan.  Her method just makes sense - it is simple, quick, thorough, and logical.   I've had great success with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Fit-Fitting-Alteration-Edition/dp/1563673215/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392081563&sr=8-2&keywords=judith+rasband 

Make something beautiful!

Jen

2 comments:

  1. That is extraordinarily beautiful! Perfect project for the fabric, and your technique is so inspiring. I love the velvet collar as well, and the perfect detail of the binding ribbon on the lining. Thanks for the tip on your favourite fitting resource, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments! I do love that fitting book - I highly recommend it.

      Delete