Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Viking PJs - Done!

Here is a project that was completely delightful to sew.  I had an enormous amount of fun putting these pajamas together:  from designing the applique to finding the perfect purple thread in my stash for top stitching.

Here is the dragon boat applique


  • See my previous post for details on tracing and enlarging the boat
  • I hand dyed old T-shirts for the applique fabric using some RIT dye that I had left over from another project.  I used 1 TBSP of Navy Blue and 1 tsp of Cocoa Brown in 2 gallons of water for the purple color.  I used 1 TBSP of Sunshine Yellow and 1/2 tsp of Cocoa Brown in 2 gallons of water for the orangey-brown color on the shields (it's darker than the pictures show)
  • I used a Pellon version of Steam-a-Seam to cut out and adhere the fabric to the T-shirt front
  • Since knit doesn't fray, I simply straight stitched around the edges of the design
  • I used a narrow zig-zag on the shields
  • I hand embroidered the eyes and used fabric paint for the nose and tail
  • Whew!
Sewing the shirt:
It's Ottobre Design 6/2010-33 without the placket.
http://www.ottobredesign.com/


It's an easy, excellent fitting T-shirt pattern.  The curvy raglan sleeves are slightly tricky, but since knits are stretchy easing those curves is not too hard.

I made my version extra long for my long-torso'd, fast-growing 6 year old son.  He's very tall and big for his age so I sewed the size 134 (the US equivalent of a 10).





The pants are also from the Ottobre 6/2010 issue - pattern 35, size 134.  The are a perfect design for my son who has a very round posterior.  The gusseted crotch gives lots of room and an excellent fit.

(please excuse the painter's tape - we are remodeling)

Why would you not want a pair of Viking pajamas?

Make something beautiful!
Jen

4 comments:

  1. Found your blog from pattern review. Love love love these pajamas! Where did you order your Viking fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky, thank you! I ordered the viking fabric from Ottobre Design's Etsy shop. Last time I checked they were out of the gray colorway, but did have it in green. https://www.etsy.com/listing/116693801/vikings-organic-cotton-elastane-single?ref=shop_home_active_20

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved these so much I ordered the magazine & green Viking fabric for my 4 year old. I hope you don't mind. Please post more often to your blog. You do such beautiful work!

    http://sewing.patternreview.com/review/pattern/97026

    ReplyDelete