Monday, February 17, 2014

Hand Sewing

I've got several projects in the queue that involve mostly or all hand-sewing, be it embroidery, cross-stitch, or construction.  This is an area that I am particularly weak in with sewing and I hope to improve it.  I find it to be very peaceful, quiet work.

I'm working on a lovely cross-stitch butterfly from What Delilah Did:






http://www.whatdelilahdid.bigcartel.com/product/entomologie-jester

I've got a pretty little sewing bag and I take my hoop, thread, and scissors with me to my son's swimming lessons, piano lessons, car line, etc.  I've almost got the bottom half of it completed.

The other lovely thing I'm working on is an adorable felt doll by Gingermelon Dolls.  This lady has the most enchanting shop of lovely dolls, patterns, and felt.  The pattern I chose is called Best Friends.

Best Friends Doll pdf Pattern - Instant Download

The doll is made entirely of wool felt (which Gingermelon sells in her shop, also - in gorgeous colors), and entirely sewn by hand.
I finished the head front and face this evening.  Here's my version so far:


 I tried a little different eye style with my version.  Obviously, I've got some finesse to learn - but I'm fairly pleased with my first attempt. 

Lastly, and probably way in my future is an Alabama Chanin T-Shirt and/or jacket.  My husband bought me her book Alabama Studio Sewing & Design for Christmas.  I am enthralled with her beautiful work.

http://www.amazon.com/Alabama-Studio-Sewing-Design-Hand-Sewing/dp/158479920X/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392691080&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=alabamin+chanin


I'm also enrolled in Natalie Chanin's Craftsy class, which I have watched most of in preparation for this future project.  I think it's a great visual learning tool and it compliments everything in the book.

Hand-Embellishing Knit Fabric: Stenciling, Appliqué, Beading and Embroidery

Make something beautiful!
Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment