Saturday, January 24, 2015

Corduroy jeans - completed!


I finished the "Casual & Smart" pants pattern from Ottobre Design Magazine 6/2014 issue.  They are made from a light/mid weight fine-wale red cotton stretch corduroy  (that's a lot of adjectives).

They are very slim-fitting - if I sew another pair for my son I will size up so he can wear them longer.


One change I made to the pattern was to make the waistband adjustable.  I figured out how to do this by looking at a pair of my son's RTW jeans.
  • I made the buttonholes and sewed on the buttons (recycled from jeans that no longer fit him) on the inside of the waistband prior to attaching it to the jeans.  
  • Once the waistband was completed, I threaded buttonhole elastic through the button hole openings and then stitched the ends securely using a zig-zag stitch.  
  • This stitch is hidden under the first belt-loop.



Here's a back view.  I love the unique pockets.




Here are a few "action" shots on my son.  We both love the fancy curved seam down the leg.


And finally, I think these pictures show how the elastic in the waistband really helps these fit him better.  The first photo is without cinching up the elastic - there's a significant gap in the back.  The second photo shows the elastic pulled in.



For construction techniques I referred mostly to the online Craftsy class,  Sewing Designer Jeans - Angela Wolf, Instructor.  This is probably the best class I have purchased on Craftsy.  You will sew jeans like a pro.






Sewing Designer Jeans


The best part of this endeavor was putting them on my son and remarking that they looked like something you might buy in the store.  My son said "No they don't!  They look like your beautiful work, Mama."

Make something beautiful!
Jen










No comments:

Post a Comment